Thursday, December 14, 2006

yearning

Several years ago I wrote this for the year-end anthropology newsletter at Wheaton. As you read (or hum) von Schlegel's words, I wish you an encouraging season of reflection on the advent of the Christ-child.

I’m not a (full fledged) conspiracy or limited good theorist; but trust me, this world wouldn’t be any worse off if all the conspiracies were true. [I’m not sure why I started off with that…there must be some deep connection…I was reading Craig Barnes' "Yearning" at the time.] But I praise God that after he gave (almost) everything to Adam and Eve, at the center of the Garden was a limitation, a forbidden completeness. That iron case around my heart that keeps it from swelling to euphoric capacity, that denied final ounce of breath that fails to fill the last bronchiole branch--those tell me that my God lives and He wants to be that which fills me. Far from a mopey Christianity, this is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"!

Be still, my soul! the Lord is on your side;
bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to your God to order and provide;
in every change He faithful will remain.
Your best, your heavenly friend,
through thorny ways, leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul! your God doth undertake
to guide the future as He has the past.
Your hope, your confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious will be bright at last.
Be still, my soul! the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still my soul! the hour is hastening on
when we will be forever with the Lord,
when disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
sorrow forgot, love’s pure joys restored.
Be still, my soul! when change and tears are past,
all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

–Katharina von Schlegel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I decided to check out your blog again, as I know that I used to enjoy reading it. Thanks for sharing so much on here. I read through the mk list ... though I'm not technically an mk, lots of those items made me cringe, laugh and suck in my breath a bit. My favorite is "Fruit Loops will always be considered an imported cereal." Do you like Weetabix? I love those simply because I grew up on them in Japan.
I'm proud to call you guys my friends, you deep-diggers into life & God...