Tuesday, February 06, 2007

part of my application to audit classes at Fuller Theological Seminary

Fuller Theological Seminary has an extraordinary maintenance staff. I know that is not the lead-in you expected…but hang with me a second. As the most recent addition to the Building Services crew I have witnessed and begun to enjoy the rich friendships and motivating camaraderie that can be had among the team. No, it’s not all rosy and, yes, we are—all of humanity—rough around the edges. But look at this snapshot. The electrician is a full time pastor of a small, poor, yet generous and powerfully missional church. The locksmith is regularly invited to the pulpit to teach on a Sunday morning at his church. The housing maintenance man is a doting father and generous gifter. The supervisor is a pastoral counselor…and I could go on. My point is, these guys are now a huge part of my community, my present Christian experience. In an unexpected way, my co-workers have reminded me of the privilege I have in both serving and being a member of the Fuller community.
I have a renewed motivation to pursue my passion for future ministry by investing my free time into academic study. As mentioned above, I believe that God has uniquely gifted me to work with abused, neglected, exploited, and otherwise marginalized individuals. How fitting and providential is it that Fuller offers select classes specifically catered to leaders entering just such fields? I believe that attending classes at Fuller Theological Seminary is God-honoring stewardship of my time. I would be remiss if I were to fail to take advantage of the opportunity I have to sit under the instruction of minds and hearts that so many are not privileged enough to experience. I am excited about and motivated to take full advantage of this opportunity to audit select classes in the various schools of Theology, Psychology and Intercultural Studies. It will be my utter joy to see the fruit of these classes move from sharpening my own thinking to maturing and blessing lives back on the mission field.

No comments: